Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Sewing Part 2

Ok, so first, I found a button down shirt with a cute pattern. This one doesn't really fit me anymore but I liked the polka dots so I went with it. You're supposed to use a men's shirt because it doesn't have darts on the sides so I made it a little harder for myself, but it still worked ok. Next time, I'll definitely go to St. Vinny's and get one for a dollar :) So, I cut the sleeves off and seperated the back from the front. Then I cut the collar off. So it looked like this:


Next, I measured Caddies chest and cut the pieces out of the front and back of the shirt. So the back of the shirt is the front of the dress and the front of the shirt is the back of the dress with the buttons. It's a good project for learning how to sew because you don't need elastic or anything because it already has buttons! Then I made the straps. The shirt already had a nice ruffle sleeve so I just used that. I had another shirt that had ripped a couple months ago with a nice trim on it so I used that for the trim at the top. So I sewed the straps on then the trim. Then I sewed the sides together and it looked like this:


This is when I started to get excited! So then I cut some trim for the bottom with that same shirt and sewed that onto the bottom. Then I sewed the straps onto the back. For placement, I just used another dress that fit Caddie to see where they should go. And then I made a little flower and sewed that onto the front of the dress.


After that, I tried it on her and it was a little big in the chest. So I turned it inside out and had her put it back on and pinned it to fit her. I sewed that and shortened the straps a little bit. And then it was done! Here is Caddie wearing her new dress!!


She loved it! It was super fun to make (it only took about 2 hours) and really easy! I think I'm going to make a couple of them to get used to sewing and then maybe I'll move on to some harder stuff. Well, until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment