Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Summer!

Well, summer has finally come to Michigan!

We've really been into going to the beach lately. There's a state park in Dewitt with a nice lake and we also have been going to Lake Lansing. It's been really fun, the girls love the sand and the water. They've been getting some serious use out of those sand toys from Easter (Thanks Becky!). Caddie has finally learned how to ride her little bike! We are so proud of her because she has been trying to ride that bike for almost a year and now she's really got the hang of it!

We're gearing up for a big joint birthday party for the girls. I'm aiming to keep it in June but it might have to wait until July. I really want to do it at our nice park here in St. John's but I really want to reserve the nice covered party area with the tables, so we'll see.

Living in St. John's has been pretty good. It's super quiet which is nice and there are lots of parks around. But it has been pretty hard for me being the only non white face around town. I'm 1/4 African American and 1/4 Native American and the rest is Irish and German. I have yet to see a fellow brown skinned person in the entire town. There are confederate flags all over and I get a lot of stares and whispered comments. Sales people even follow me around stores to make sure I don't steal! Brendan thinks I'm being paranoid, and maybe I am, but it's still a little disconcerting. I did live in Okemos, and was one of only 5 African Americans in my graduating class of 350. And I still have nightmares about visiting my dad in Virginia and hearing the n-word at least 10 times as soon as you step out the door. I've always been proud of my heritage and it's been hard because sometimes I just wish I looked like my family. I must get over this immediately! Anyway, enough ranting! Here's some pics from last week! Enjoy!

Chalk of the Town!


2 comments:

  1. You are a beautiful, wonderful Mommy and wife and your family loves you so much! I can not believe you are having to deal with small minded people! Hugs from (the diverse part) of Virginia!!

    ReplyDelete